I found chapters 3, 4 and 5 this week very interesting! I
have a personal connection to many of the topics. For example I have a family
member that has a hereditary disorder (p57). She has Down syndrome and I can
attest to the quality of life improvements that the text lists. I have two
friends who recently went through extreme cases of infertility (p63) and have
used a few of the assisted reproduction technologies listed before becoming
pregnant and having health babies (yea!). One of my friends who went through infertility
actually adopted a beautiful baby boy a year and a half before she became
pregnant. Now she has a closed adoption (p64) but while she was fostering this
baby she did have to take the baby to meet with his parents as this was court
ordered.
I am the mom of two amazing boys Joshua (12) and Samuel (22
month). It’s ironic how after the fact moms (myself included) remember their
pregnancy and birth stories with almost a fog over them. We remember them as an amazing happy time in
our lives. After reading chapters 3, 4 and 5. I am beginning to think that although
I look back at my pregnancies with joy and a sense of peace my pregnancies were
what the book calls high risk. With out getting into detail I experienced with
my prenatal testing an amniocentesis (p67). Both my deliveries were induced, my
first little angel was deemed too small although I was full term he was a
healthy 5lbs 10oz and my second angel seemed to be uncomfortable as amniotic
fluid was a tad bit low but was born a chunky 6lbs 2oz. Samuel was born a
sizable cookie monster compared to his older brother Josh! I also had the joy
of experiencing (p68) fetal monitoring, the use of instruments, as stated
earlier – induced labor, oxygen deprivation (p87), the rh factor (p88) and yes
the incubator(p89 – the book calls it an isolette) and my guy did wear a batman
mask similar to the one shown on the top of p 89. All of this was somehow forgotten/put on the back burner of my minds memory because all I can think of when looking back at my kids birthdays was how amazing it all was and how blessed we were to have the honor of being a parent.
Chapter 6 was fascinating! I can thoroughly appreciate Piaget’s
take on cognitive development. Although Samuel at 22 months is in stage 6 of the
sensorimotor period I enjoyed being able to look back and mentally check off
the stages that Samuel has successfully completed. Vygotsky (p115) was spot on with the stages of language development as Samuel is right between two word commands and using phrases!
Thanks for sharing your personal connections to the readings. It is always great when you can see theories of development and apply it to real life experience. Often times theories seem to exist in the world of academia and we forgot that they should have application to real life. I agree that Piaget and Vygotsky are both spot on. I hope you continue to find connections as the course continues with different theorists.
ReplyDeleteHi Emily:
ReplyDeleteIt's so interesting to hear your point of view as you are a mother yourself. I find it very interesting as you stated, that mothers remember the pregnancy and birth with fog. This is an phenomenon that I have heard from other mothers as well. I wanted to know though, when your son was in the NICU, and in the incubator, were you allowed to do kangaroo care as the book stated or were there guidelines for how you were to hold him? My nephew was in the NICU for a few days, but my sister was never allowed to hold him skin-skin as mentioned in the book. I was just wondering if you had a different experience. Thanks.
Emily, how you relate your life events to our chapters is really amazing! I learn so much better when material is put into real life situations. I also supported Piaget's chart. Its just all so new to me and fascinating. I mean i know how a baby is made but when it gets broken down to the steps, risk factors, and the process, its so much more fascinating and elaborate than we are taught in school
ReplyDeleteI relate to the pregnancy/delivery fog you mention Emily. I often joke that it's God's way of making sure humanity continues, make the moms forget the bad things and just concentrate on the blessings. Thank you for sharing your trials, that must have been some scary times, but in the end you have these two beautiful children - what could be better?
ReplyDeleteHi Emily,
ReplyDeleteI can completely relate to your story. I spent many days being monitored and on bed rest with my second son, but after seeing his beautiful face all of that time seems to be a distant memory. I think that it is so intentional that we feel this way, I think if Moms dwell on their difficult pregnancies we have substantially fewer beautiful babies and human beings in the world!